Saffron Rice




Ive decided to give this blogging thing a try. Trying, cooking(well not cooking, Ive benn cooking for a long time now, not new) tasting and cooking with unfamiliar ingredients have become my new...thing....lol.
Anyways I bought some saffron, and it was very expensive,it is the worlds mot expensive spice sold by weight, I did a double take on the price but said what the heck get it! I've always used saffron but not in the real form, usually in Sazon a spanish seasoning from the brand Goya or rice seasoned already with it. i wanted to make the real thing.
I wanted to make something quick and simple, I had no idea these little strings can do so much but they do, they add flavor and color. Im not too fond of the flavor honestly but the dish was delicious and my family liked it. I tend to dance around my kitchen, not literraly but when I toss my ingredients together, thats just how I cook. I really don't measure,specially if its a recipe I improvise, so bare with me if you make the rice or any of my recipes and it comes out whack lol!cook at your own risk :)

Saffron Rice

2 cups of Rice, loving Parboiled rice lately!it's just perfect. I have a love hate relationship with short grain rice.
1 cup of chicken broth
1 cup of water
1 tsp of salt
Splash of cooking white wine
1 smoked sausage cut in slices at and angle
sliced onion(here is where I didn't measure, I just cut some onion slices and sauteed them with the sausage)
a pinch or two of saffron
2 tbls of butter
1 tblsp of olive oil

Toss in the butter and sautee the onion until caramelized and the sausage. Pour in the chicken broth, bring to a simmer, add the water, the olive oil, the white wine, and the salt. Pour the rice and stir. Bring the heat to low temperature. At this time you may add the saffron and stir it in, and /or wait until the rice is cooked then sprinkle a pinch or two of the saffron for more fresh stonger flavor but I think the rice won't be as yellow, you decide. Cover for about 20 minutes, then fluff with a fork, serve and enjoy!

In the photo I posted you can barely see the sauteed onions or even the sausages, my family of carnivores got to it before I did. I topped it with some saffron (stigmas), the little strings that are harvested and dried to make saffron. I got to some information, I'm starting to be a little fascinated with it. the flower is very preety also.

For my vegan/vegetarian friends you can subsitute the chicken broth with vegetable broth and skip the sausage and butter :)

I also think by adding 2 tablespoons of cream cheese to the dish will make it extra creamy and even more delicious.<---since Im participating in the Real Women of Philadelphia contest( http://www.realwomenofphiladelphia.com/user_profile/view/12363) I thought adding cream cheese to this dish is awesome too ;p

Here is some info on Saffron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saffron

Tried the dish?? let me know :D

Comments

Popular Posts