Sweet fried plaintains


I love fried plaintains, tostones for Mofongo mmhmm or my absolute favorite, the sweet ones. Some people call them amarillos(yellow)or platano maduro. The best ones are the yellow ones with the black spots on them. The more black spots on the the sweeter they are, you can even let them get almost black(overly ripe ones are the sweetest!). My mother used to make them for me when I was a little girl all the time. Always paring them with a salty dish, with breakfast, a sunny side up egg or with dinner, a plate of rice and beans and corned beef!My cousin said to me, that's comida de pobres(poor peoples food) but to me it was delicious and I didn't care if I was rich or poor, my mother used to make some delicious food and I had good food on my table growing up. My favorite plaintain dish I remember sharing with her were Piononos, I think that's what they are called. A ball(or I think its was a slice of plaintain wrapped in bacon)held together with toothpicks, I remember they were a little difficult for me to eat because I had to take the toothpicks off lol) it had bacon and sweet plaintains and I cant remember the rest of the ingredients. I'm salivating just thinking about it. As soon as I can get the recipe for those I'm making them. Its the perfect combination of sweet and salty wrapped around in delicious greasy goodness. When I get The recipe(Jeannette, hello :)I know you know how to make Piononos, do you?). I haven't had them in years!
I have been meaning to post Puertorican dishes and since I really love sweet fried plaintains Im starting off with these.

Ingredients:

1 or 2 yellow plaintains
About 2 cups Oil for frying but I used a little less and used a flat frying pan. You can use Corn or Vegetable oil

Directions
1. Preheat oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat.
2. Peel the plantains and cut them in half. Slice the halves lengthwise into thin pieces.
3. Fry the pieces until browned and tender. Drain excess oil on paper towels.


I really enjoy frying plaintains and tostones. For some odd reason the smell of the hot frying oil and the plaintains comforts me :)It's aroma therapy seriously! and My kids love them!!

Try some!

Enjoy!

Comments

  1. Que bello se ve tu nuevo look!! me encantan los amarillitos fritos!! con arroz aguacate y corned beef ,MMM!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts