Takoyaki

I love seafood but this time around not so much. See I had to chop up raw octopus and it just messed up my appetite. It also had ginger among the ingredients, didn't like the flavor of the pickled ginger. I pretty much lost the urge to cook and got very discouraged. I'll be making this recipe just this once unless I like the sauce next time I make them.
Anyways I gathered my strength to finish the recipe which was incomplete because I didn't have the sauce (Takoyaki sauce) nor the ingredients for it. But I had all the ingredients for the Takoyaki.

I didn't quite like this recipe, turned out too salty not sure what caused it but it was probably to much bonito flakes. Only my oldest liked the recipe and my lil one was scared of the lil octopus tentacles.

Tako- means octopus in Japanese
Yaki- means deep fried, I don't understand cuz they're not deep fried lol
Takoyaki is a popular street food in Japan.

Here's the recipe:

Takoyaki

Batter:
Takoyaki flour 7oz
1 1/2 cup water 3 cups- batter will be a milky consistency
2 eggs

Topping:
Takoyaki sauce
Japanese mayonnaise
Seaweed flakes

Filling:
Pickled ginger-lots of flavor add lil bits!
Spring onion (chopped)
Bonito flakes-lil pinches its salty!
Chop sticks for turning the Takoyaki
Octopus chopped( raw or cooked)Cooked!
Shrimp cooked or chopped sausages if you don't like seafood


Takoyaki Dutch oven ( Cake pop maker is perfect and it's what I used but heat didn't distribute evenly, so watch out for temperature, mine was probably defective)

Mix the ingredients for the batter. It will be milky. add the water a little at a time for no lumps. Preheat the Takoyaki maker. Grease the holes individually and all over the pan.
Pour the batter in the holes careful not to overfill then add the chopped ingredients in lil bits and pinches at a time. Pay attention not to burn them and in about 3 minutes start to turn them with the chopsticks. They should be done in about 6 minutes depending on how hot the pan gets.

You can purchase most of the ingredients at an Asian market. I couldn't find the sauce but here's us the recipe for it.

Takoyaki Sauce

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup catsup
1/2 cup worchershire
1/2 cup sake
2 tablespoons ginger
2 tablespoons garlic
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup mirin
Mix these ingredients and top the Takoyaki balls with the mayonnaise, sauce and seaweed flakes

On my picture I have a bottle of Oyster sauce but do not, I repeat DO NOT use it for topping. I found out the hard way it didn't taste good with the Takoyaki.

Serve hot!

Check out this video on YouTube: copy paste sorry got lazy :)

Turning the Takoyaki

http://youtu.be/p1LBYei0mbo


Enjoy!

P.S. I'm thinking of different recipes to make in the cake pop machine so stay tuned, they will be sweet treats!!!!!!











Comments

Popular Posts