Pollo guisado en Sangria, Stewed chicken in Sangria

I miss my mothers cooking. She used to make a lot of Pollo guisado when I was a little girl, she used to stew the chicken in Budweiser beer and wine, her favorite grape wine Manishewitz. My stepfather and I used to race to the pot to get some every time. My kids also love this dish, specially the chicken and the broth goes preety quickly. I made this particular dish with Sangria, I think it came out preety tasty.
    Pollo Guisado en Sangria/Stewed Chicken in Sangria
1 cup of Sangria
4 large Bay leaves (remove after cooking0
1 packet of Sazon with saffron
6 pieces of chicken leg quarters with skin, cut the things from the legs(keep the skin on the chicken, it flavors the stew, I've tried it without skin and the broth is not as tasty)
1 cup of mixed vegetables (frozen is fine)
1 can of fire roasted tomatoes
1/2 cup sliced red peppers
1/2 cup sliced green peppers
2 cups of water
1/2 cup of chopped yellow onion
Adobo for seasoning the chicken enough to coat the pieces of chicken 1 tablespoon of Olive oil 2 cups of potatoes cut in small cubes (I usually don't add potatoes but is quite tasty with them so add some)
  Season the chicken with adobo, let sit for 30 minutes in the fridge. In a large pot sautee the onions then pour olive oil, then add the chicken skin down and fry until the skin is a golden brown and the onions have caramelized a bit( browning the skin on the chicken flavors the stew broth. Pour the Sangria and stir. Add the vegetables, roasted tomatoes, potatoes and water.  Cook covered on medium low heat for 35 minutes until the chicken and potatoes are done. Salt to taste. I don't add anymore salt because the chicken had some adobo already in it. Serve over white rice and a side of sweet fried plantains.
Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts